These Acupressure Points for Constipation come in handy not only in situations where you’re unable to go to the poop for days together, but also to avoid such constipation problems in the future.
Acupressure Therapy is an effective way of treating constipation without any side effects and with lasting relief without any laxatives or medicines.
P.S: Pregnant women are suggested not to practice these pressure points to get relief from constipation as it may lead to premature baby birth and other labor related issues.
Causes & Symptoms of Constipation
If your bowel movements are hard or happen very less often than usual, then you’re said to be constipated.
Generally, the length or frequency of bowel movements varies from one individual to another. Some people do not have any issues with bowel movements and can have them 2 or 3 times a day. Whereas others have them once or twice a week but don’t complain about anything.
If you happen to go longer than 3 or more days without pooping, then it is considered a problem. Because the stool or feces gets harder after 3 days and it becomes very difficult (sometimes painful) to pass.
Here are a few common symptoms to see if you’re constipated or not.
- Fewer bowel movements than normal
- Trouble having the poop
- Getting pain while having a bowel movement
- Hard or small stools
- Throwing up: pain and vomiting
- Not satisfied after having it and sense of incomplete bowel movement
- Belly pain or swollen abdomen
There are many causes of constipation and below are a few important ones:
- Eating disorders
- High consumption of dairy products
- Low consumption of fiber-rich foods
- Less intake of water
- Intake of antacid medicines that contain calcium or aluminum
- Lazy or not active
- Excessive use o laxatives
- Forcible stopping of bowel movements and postponing them more often
- Using pain killers, antidepressants or iron pills
- Nerves and muscles problem in the digestive system
- Colon cancer
- Hypothyroidism or under-active thyroid
- Neurological conditions such as Parkinson’s disease or multiple sclerosis
- Frequent changes in your regular diet and activities
- Pregnancy (seen in most pregnant women)
- Smoking, alcohol, and coffee make it worse
Best Acupressure Points for Quick Constipation Relief
By stimulating these acupressure points for constipation with your fingers, you can easily relax your abdomen muscles and promote regular bowel movements in the quickest time possible.
These pressure points also help in getting relieved from constipation-assisted bloating, gas and abdominal pain.
1. CV 6 Acupressure Point
Qi means energy and this pressure point is excellent in treating constipation according to the experts.
You can find it just 2 finger widths below the belly button.
Stimulate this point gradually using your fingertips without pressing more than 1 inch deep. Try to maintain or apply the pressure for 30 seconds while breathing normally and with your eyes shut.
Take a short break and repeat this occasionally.
The ‘Sea of Energy’ pressure point helps in relieving several issues such as abdominal pain, gas, colitis, constipation, hernia, irregular menstruation, digestive disorders, impotency in men, and fatigue.
2. CV 12 Acupressure Point
Conception Vessel 12 is another effective acupressure point that provides quick relief from constipation.
You can locate it on the mid-line of your body, midway between the belly button and the base of your breastbone.
It is very important not to press this point for more than 2 minutes at a single stretch. You should also make sure to do it on an empty stomach.
People with hypertension, heart disease or cancer should not practice this point as it may cause several other issues.
This point ‘Center of Power’ helps in relieving stomach pain, heartburn, abdominal spasms, emotional stress, constipation, insomnia, vomiting, and jaundice.
3. LI 11 Acupressure Point
The large intestine 11 or crooked pond is a point that helps in balancing the intestinal tone whether you’re suffering from constipation issues or diarrhea.
It can be located at the outer end of the elbow crease when you bend your elbow.
Press this point with your fingertips for 1 minute while taking a deep breath. Also, repeat this step on the other arm for better results.
This point ‘Crooked Pond’ is very beneficial in treating problems like constipation, indigestion, high fever, diarrhea, heat stroke, elbow pain and skin diseases.
4. LI 4 Acupressure Point
This hand reflexology point (large intestine 4)for constipation is one of the most popular acupressure points for many problems.
It can be located between the index and the thumb figure. The fleshy webbing is what is known as the LI 4 point.
You can stimulate this point by squeezing the fleshy tissue using your fingertips for about 1 minute while taking deep breaths. Repeat the same on your other hand.
This point ‘Joining the Valley’ or ‘Hand Valley Point’ helps in relieving from a wide variety of problems like chronic pains, toothache, allergies, eye problems, and constipation and also boosts your immunity.
5. ST 36 Acupressure Point
The Stomach 36 or ST 36 is not just constipation relieving pressure point. It also helps in strengthening the whole body.
You can find the point just 4 finger widths below the kneecap and 1 finger width towards the outer side of the shinbone.
How to know if you’re stimulating the correct pressure point? Simple, when you move your foot up and down, you’ll feel the muscle flexes.
Make use of your palms and rub on this point for 1 minute. Repeat the same for the other leg.
The point ‘Three Mile Point’ or ‘Below Kneecap Point’ is very beneficial in treating issues like constipation, insomnia, asthma, PMS, depression and nervousness.
6. PC 6 Acupressure Point
Pericardium 6 or PC 6 is another hand pressure point that treats constipation effectively.
It is located just 4 finger widths below the wrist along the center hollow between the tendons.
Stimulate this point using your fingertips for 1 minute and repeat the same on the other hand.
This point ‘Inner Gate’ is helpful in treating headache, upset stomach, asthma, nausea and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Stimulating these acupressure points along with the below home remedies will treat constipation without using any laxatives or medicines, that too in the quickest possible timespan.
Home Remedies for Constipation
1. Water & Honey:
Upon waking, drink a glass of lukewarm water mixed with 1 tbsp of organic honey on an empty stomach. Walk for a few minutes in your hall and go to the bathroom. You’ll feel an urge to have a bowel movement for sure.
2. Cabbage Soup:
Drink a bowl of soup made with cabbages and beetroots chopped into small pieces. Have this every other night after your dinner as it will help as lubrication for easy bowel movements.
3. Aloe Vera Juice:
Another amazing remedy if you don’t like the water-honey drink. Just have a glass of aloe vera juice on an empty stomach daily for 2 weeks and see the change for yourself.
4. Foods that Help in Relieving Constipation
There are a few foods rich in fiber & water content that help in treating constipation naturally, which include:
- Fruits: Apples, Bananas, Prunes, Grapefruit, Pears, Peaches,
- Vegetables: Spinach, Avocados, Cabbage, Beets, Cauliflower, Bok Choy, Sprouted Greens and Broccoli
- Dry Fruits: Walnuts, Apricot Kernels, Figs, Pine Nuts
- Meat: Fish and seeds that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- Dairy: Yogurt (no milk products)
Try to eliminate red meat, fried foods, animal fats, simple carbs, and refined sugars as they clog your digestive system and make your constipation problem worse.
Also, try to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water at room temperature every day.
5. Abdominal Massage
This 15-minute abdominal massage helps in easing up your bowel movement naturally.
- Lie on your back in a comfortable position with your knees slightly bent.
- Using both your palms, start massaging your abdomen in a circular motion with moderate pressure.
- Once your complete a circle, lift your arms and start again.
- Do this for about 10 to 15 minutes.
This simple abdominal massage is proven to reduce digestive problems without any medication.
6. Ayurvedic Supplements to treat Constipation Naturally
If you’re not aware already, Ayurveda is very efficient in treating irregular bowel issues without any side effects. You can try either or both of these herbal supplements for quick relief.
- Psyllium Husk: It is available in both pill and powder form. I personally suggest the pill form as it is easy to consume with lukewarm water.
- Aloe vera: If you don’t like to drink the juice, you can have it in capsule form. Just take 300 to 500 mg and you’ll feel the urge to have a bowel movement almost immediately.
- Flaxseeds: You can powder the flax seeds and sprinkle them in all the meals you’re consuming. They provide the necessary omega-3s required for the body. You can also use the flaxseed oil if needed.
7. Herbal Tea for Constipation Relief
Drinking Green tea is also said to help in making your bowel movements regular. Maybe that is the reason why most people in Asian countries are healthy. Just have 2 or 3 cups of green tea regularly and if possible, try to replace your coffee with it for better results.
That’s all friends! Hope these acupressure points for constipation will help solve your problem and make your bowel movements regular without using any laxatives.
In case you’re suffering from severe constipation issues with belly pain, then it is high time you consult the doctor for medical advice.